Goerge
Goerge asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

How can I make our French toast better this morning?

I planned on using heavy cream, vanilla extract(real and not wood water), sugar, cinnamon and eggs. It's my turn to cook breakfast  for my roommates and I but I would like to make it different than the norm or how I usually cook it.  

Skip the cream and the rest and just opt for a high quality vanilla ice cream. Interesting. 

Yes, and I fry pancakes in rendered bacon fat as well. 

@Common Sense That does sound so very good and the pecans are weighing down the trees out here. In another couple of weeks or so they should be ready for harvest and the bananas will have some company. Thank you for the idea. 

Two votes for orange juice means I'll be adding some freshly squeezed orange juice and some pulp without the skin for some added texture. Thanks for that. 

@CB I'll be making this next week, Fully cooked links sliced on the bias and browned, with pepper and onions, make a béchamel sauce with some Parmesan and a good pinch of fresh ground nutmeg and some finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme. 

Only real parmesan and I chose fresh thyme.

It sounds RICH and delicious so I have to try it. 

• CB
    Favorite Answer

The real key is using a good bread - I like to use French bread cut on the bias about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Top with macerated berries and a dusting of 10x sugar. And real maple syrup only!

Add a banana compote. Simply slice bananas 1/4" thick and place in a saucepan with water just covering the bottom of the pan. Drizzle with maple syrup or with strawberry jam. Heat and gently fold until hot.. Spoon over French toast.

make the toast in Paris, France. 

Use real maple syrup, or try a flavored syrup such as boysenberry or raspberry.

• JOHN B

It don't get better than that unless you add berries of some sort. Make a Monte Cristo. Basically a club sandwich quartered, dipped in FT batter, deep fried and topped with powdered sugar 

Here is something a little different but not so special.  I toast frozen waffles in the toaster.  Then throw them in the skillet and pour beaten eggs over them.  Cook and flip until done. 

• Jane

Yummy, simple- get unsliced bread and cut thick.

Sandwich with grated cheese and bacon/prosciutto etc, spread the outer layers with mayonnaise and bake in a hot oven until crispy.

• denise

Try buttermilk instead of usual milk, its rich and tangy, and not as pricey as heavy cream, maybe add demerara sugar instead of white to give it a caramel vibe. Honey in the batter/liquid or poured over the finished 'toast' could make it yummy,  warmed / melted marmalade for topping is tasty & has an orangey vibe.  

I have made French Toast with a PB&J which was pretty good. Basically make a PB&J before soaking in custard and cooking. Don't go too heavy on the filling, otherwise it gets messy... 

Otherwise class it up with toppings, sliced almonds, fruit, a fruit chutney (like cooking down cranberries and blueberries in OJ - 1 cup each) 

Add a splash of orange juice to the egg mixture. 

Next time it is your turn to the eggs forget the cream and all the rest and use melted vanilla ice cream.  That has sugar, cream and all the rest (add just a splash more vanilla)