My boyfriend can’t be wrong. Is this toxic or normal? ?

My boyfriend of 3 years will get upset if I point out he’s wrong about something (specifically when it’s about about facts too—not opinions). It has happened a few times throughout our relationship but mostly within the past year. I don’t think it’s right for him to get so upset over these things. It’s not ever about anything important either. 

Ex. We will be talking about something mundane like music and he will say something about it like “Oh this song is from ____ album”. I would say “It’s actually just on a Spotify playlist of that name, not an actual album” and he will probably insist that he was right and when I take out my phone to show him the album it’s actually from he will blow up yelling “Fine! You’re right! I get it, okay? You’re right!”. 

He says that it hurts his feelings that I’m negating what he’s saying and making him feel dumb. I don’t feel like I’m just frivolously fact-checking him though. Whenever I correct him it’s usually because how our conversation continues depends on this fact. I feel like if I don’t say anything our whole conversation would be based on wrong information. Is it rude to do this? Is it more polite to just not say anything and let him be wrong? Or is it wrong of him to get upset? 

You have got to be more confident in yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing and he is simply trying to make you feel guilty about it. The way your boyfriend acts seems like a big red flag and if I were you I would really consider staying with someone like him. It looks like he has anger issues due to getting angry over basically nothing and this will only get worse down the line. You need to tell him that he needs to change his attitude and you have to be assertive about it. Either he changes his shitty attitude and starts treating you properly or you need to dump him and find someone else. 

Don't let someone make you feel bad when you did absolutely nothing wrong. 

• keerok

Some people are normally like that.

Do you think you can live forever with someone like that? Three years is nothing. There is still time to find the right one or at least a better one.

He has issues, he needs professional help. I could not be with anyone like him. How can you?

He's wrong to get upset, and you're wrong to correct him when it doesn't matter.

Your error is a lot less serious than his. You're being a know-it-all, which isn't pleasant. What does it matter if he gets the album name wrong?

His error is a red flag to me. A man who cannot admit he's wrong and gets angry when you prove it, instead of being okay with it, would be a deal-breaker for a lot of women.

It sounds like you two could use some professional counseling to work on your communication skills - and possibly him to work on his anger. Good communication and mutual respect are two of the keys to any long lasting relationship.

Counseling is often available for a low fee through health insurance. Almost everyone needs counseling at some point in their life. Best wishes. 

Source(s): The book True Love Lasts