can you start holly bushes from the berries?

My neighbor has a holly tree.  Every year I am pulling up 100s of seedlings that have been planted by the wind or the squirrels.  Definitely, holly germinates very easily from berries.

• John P

Very likely, but don't expect them all to work.  I do some gardening for friends who have a large garden.  I sometimes find self-sown holly seedlings in the most unexpected places!

• Ben

Yes, but be aware that only half of the plants grown from seed will produce berries, as holly have separate male and female plants, and only the females produce fruit.

Yes, that's how the plant reproduces. the berries are eaten by birds and the seeds inside are dropped all over the place, some seeds that land in exactly the right conditions may survive and germinate.  They won't all do so though, that's why the plant produces so many in the hope that some will do the trick. 

yes with good soil and sunshine

i dont see why not

• Dze

generally seeds like that have to be dried and 'stratified' to germinate ...