Lana asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

will egg whites fluff up into meringue if a little yolk is in them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

generally not...any kind of fat will inhibit the whites from beating up nicely which is why you are also told to use a glass or metal bowl because plastic often holds on to residual fat even after washed well.

• denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, sometimes they wont fluff up if there's a speck of grease in the bowl!.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Nope................

• 4 weeks ago

no they will not whip up .At least to the point of being a meringue

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No. You can't whip whites with any fat.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Even the tiniest speck of yolk (or anything greasy) will stop egg whites from fluffing up into meringues properly when you whisk them.

Always wash the bowl, and the whisk, and your hands, in hot soapy water just before you make meringues (I also wipe the bowl and whisk and my hands with lemon juice too)

and then crack the eggs open one at a time into another container first .. so that if you break the 3rd yolk (for example) you haven't 'spoiled' the other 2 egg whites

and the best way to separate an egg (without risking breaking the yolk) is to crack it open into the palm of your CLEAN hand and then let the white pour out through your fingers.

• 4 weeks ago

According to recipes, no.

• 4 weeks ago

Not as well.  Yolk tends to solidify at low temperatures; so while the whites are still fluid and mixing with the air, the yolk will have already hardened and make the meringue lumpy.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Depends on how little you mean. I speck? Sure. A full on drop? Probably not. The key to fluffing up meringue is not having ANYTHING else in the bowl; no water, yolk, anything. The egg whites must be pure. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.