Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

Is it bad that my friend isn’t voting for the US Election even though she lives in Australia?

My friend lives in Australia. Well I asked her if she was going to vote and she said she was from California and that the state will sway Democrat for Biden regardless. Is she right?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The only impact she would have if she voted would be the state & local elections and it could be she doesn't know enough about those candidates to make an intelligent choice

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If your friend is an American citizen then she should vote, regardless of whether she's living overseas.  Americans living abroad have the same right to vote as any other American.  She should request an absentee ballot, and do so as quickly as possible. 

Her explanation that her vote won't change things because she's from California, which will go to Joe Biden regardless, isn't a good excuse.  First off, that attitude can cost people elections.  Hillary Clinton lost the 2016 election in part because people who hated Trump but disliked her thought that she had no chance of losing and so they either didn't vote or voted for a third party candidate.  The idea of "my vote doesn't matter" becomes a self fulfilling prophecy if you don't bother to cast it.  Second, there are other races on the ballots, some of them potentially competitive.  You don't mention where your friend lives in California or what her political affiliation is.  If she's a Democrat then she should be aware that there are seven Republican House members who represent California.  She may live in one of their districts.  These include Kevin McCarthy, the Republican leader in the House and Devin Nunes, a particularly sycophantic Trump supporter who engaged in borderline illegal actions to help Trump weather scandals.  If she's a Republican then theres, I believe, four Democrats who were elected in 2018 and who may be vulnerable to Republicans taking back those seats.  There's also state level and local level races which are important and where she should make her voice known.

• Malika
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If your friend is so still an American citizen,  she should still be able to vote.  She would need to get her absentee ballot from the county in California where she is registered.  Time is important- because of the time it will take for the State of California to mail her ballot to her and for your friend to complete it and return it in time for the election.

As for your friend's prediction, she is most likely right.  California usually goes 'blue'- it is a very Democratic state.  

• 1 month ago

If she can vote she should protest vote !

Writing some ones name  in, or voting for a 3rd Party will at least send a message that Voters are done with the DEM-REP Monopoly !

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I am not sure that she can vote, if she is not a resident of the US.  Since trump has proven he could care less about California, there is a strong probability that ever Orange Co (strong republican area) may vote against him.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A Presidential vote in California doesn't matter. But there are a lot of really important local candidates and issues on the ballot and if she's not even living here she shouldn't vote on those as they won't affect her and she probably hasn't been paying attention. 

• doug v
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

She's right, very likely Cali will go Dem & Biden.

But where she's wrong is the Dems need every vote they can get to show overwhelming disapproval of Trump.

The main reason Hillary lost in 2016 is the huge number of voters who didn't vote. (Ex: In Michigan, critical swing state, she lost by 2 votes per precinct - & thousands of ballots filled down-ballot for Dems were left blank at the top).

This con man/liar/cheat/thief/law & Constitution breaker & would-be dictator must be removed from office. We must show other (smarter) would-be dictators that they WILL NOT succeed in America!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Is she still a U.S. Citizen though?

• 1 month ago

No point to vote if you live in California, California always goes 100% to Democrats.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.