Ben
Ben asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 month ago

Is it ALWAYS inappropriate to use profanity with friends or on social media?

a) yes

b) no

When you answer, can you give me an explanation?

As one person, get one answer, ask another person, get a different answer. 

• Diana

Its not a good habit to get into.  Also, social media has its own rules and penalties about such language.  

b

the question of whether something is "appropriate" is always subjective to the current circumstances, environment, and people around you. Whether you swear or not should principally be determined by your audience. 

Generally, you should avoid vulgar conduct and speech, as this may lead to unfavorable impressions and a possibly hostile environment, even if said conduct is deemed tolerable.

NO!!! But you need to understand the meaning of the profane word that is being used. 

e,g, 'F - - k' is an Anglo-Saxon  word for 'Sexual Intercourse'.    

• Willie

It tells us that that's the only way they know how to communicate.

• John P

In a social setting of that sort there is no simple 'yes/no.

Personally I would almost never use profanity in writing, whether that is formal writing or in the free-and-easy atmosphere of the internet.

In speech I would be sparing with any profanity, and would be prepared to stop any use if it seemed to make my companions uneasy.

Don't take over this category , like you have other categories,  with questions that don't fit the category.  THis is not a homework question. Post in "polls and surveys" please Ben.

No. Using profanity with friends and social media is not a good thing. You should only use profanity if:

1. The person you are talking to is very close to you and will understand everything you'll say and will not be offended with your words.

2. If you really mean it. If you really want them to feel awkward, guilty or ashamed regard to a certain reason.

Overall, its still not good to use profanity especially on public and with people that might not understand your real motive.

While I have done so in extreme cases [like when i dropped 25 pounds of 2x6 on my toe], I regard foul language as nearly always inappropriate.  the example I hark back to is the extreme deprivation that some individuals survived ... they had cause to use profanity.  unless I am describing their situation, I do not.  I haven't been harmed to anywhere near the extent that they actually were [think the Nazi death camps or Stalin's gulags -- those are situations that are appropriate for profanity].  [turns out i didn't break my toe, just the toe nail.  it took over a year to regrow.  I sure did limp for three days, though.]

Go watch the movie MY FAIR LADY.    The main theme of the movie is that you can judge a person by how they speak  and it limits what you can do.   If a girl can only talk like a flower girl then she will always be a flower girl.  If she speaks like a member of high society,  she  will fit in there and will be unable to be a flower girl.    So if you talk like a beer drinking biker girl who uses profanity every time she talks,  that will people will think you should be.    If you talk like an educated college person who does not need to use profanity to express herself then they will think of you in that kind of setting.    If you always plan on being a biker kind of girl,  then fine,  swear all you want but if you ever want to move up in the world you need to watch what you say.