Soapy Ears asked in SportsHockey · 1 month ago

Regarding Don Cherry...?

I know it's old news now, but Hockey Night in Canada is not the same without Don Cherry.

I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way. That snake Ron Maclean sat there and nodded and he was always quick to speak up if he didn't like what Grapes said, but he did not. He did not stand up for his friend the next friend either. We only had a few years of Coach's Corner left anyway, but I wanted to see those.

Anyone could tell the context in which he spoke and Maclean and everyone knew it. He was talking about EVERYONE should be grateful to live here - the greatest country in the world, and buy a poppy for those who gave their lives so we can live free. It's not right. Don deserved to go out on his own terms after all these years.

What are you going to do about it? Wish in one hand, **** in another. 

Exactly. Don Cherry  was a charitable person,  a national treasure in Canada and loved in the U.S.. He should have had a lot of good will in the bank, instead was treated like a chump. Canada is a somewhat liberal nation so there is much media and political pressure to be politically correct. So when a celebrity does not word things precisely politically correct to a hyper sensitive media , then these things happen. Grapes deserved better and everybody is worse off for not having his entertaining commentary.

• Mike W

You could also say that Hockey Night in Canada hasn't been the same since Foster Hewitt, or Bob Cole left, but they did, and time marches on.  

• JuanB

I'd rather listen to Grapes than Brian Burke or Eliot Freidman.  

But! Grapes was warned to stick to hockey talk and specifically not talk poppies on hockey time.  This when he talked about poppies the year before.  Well he ignores them, and talks poppies, not one episode, but TWO episodes.  So he was given enough warning.  Guess what has happened since he's been gone?  All the talk is about hockey like it should be.

Poppy idea was cool though I've been proudly wearing one on Remembrance Day 

for as long as I can remember. Everything else about Grapes was douche at best.

• I don't miss Cherry at all, and I'm one of those white dudes over 40 who played minor hockey.  His act got old, and it became less about him providing insight and more about him doing whatever the hell it was that he was doing (usually complaining about something) and at some point, being an old man angry at anyone who doesn't look or think like you gets old.

All he had to do was his annual plea of "please buy a poppy", but instead, he made a racial thing out of it (somehow he got a pass on the "stick to sports" thing).  

HNIC/Rogers/Sportsnet ratings have been in a steady decline and they had already made reductions in staff before the start of the season.  

Related, Kevin Bieksa has been really good.  He's informative and comes off well.  Clearly knows the game.

• opurt

You're right, it's not the same without him.

It's better.