Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Purchased me Basset Hound puppy a winter coat. What is the lowest temperature for a Basset to be outdoors and for how long?

Favorite Answer

There is no lowest temperature. All breeds of dog with two stomachs (Vlcaks, Red Heelers, Basset Hounds, German Shepherds, Chinese Cresteds and Rottweilers) have immunity to cold weather.

trolls abound eh me little bluefaced gobshyte

It would be the same with most any other dog with a short coat.

I dunno. 40 degrees

No you haven't ('purchased me Basset Hound puppy a winter coat').   Just as I thought it was safe to go back into the water .................................

For others, Bassets don't need a winter coat and if you persist in using one, he won't grow the natural coat he needs for winter.   We lived for a good number of years in Canada with our hounds and at no time did they have, or need, a coat.  When the weather was foul (to bad for us) we waited until it improved.  This is a hound and should have a coat that will allow him to survive in all climates, with the necessary shelter when needed.  Hound packs are usually kept in kennels with sufficient bedding, and benches to get up out of drafts.

the same temperature u would find uncomfortable