My Wifi Speed Test Result is 40MBPS But Im Only getting 300Kb/s?

This is Starting to get really annoying i cant figure out what im doing wrong Please suggest me

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

It could be the computer sending it to you. You only get that speed if the computer sending it can send at that speed. 

• 4 weeks ago

Speed tests gives you bits per second.

Downloads give you bytes per second.

Speed tests use 1000 for a kilo

your computer uses 1024 for a kilo.

The maximum speed 40 Megabits per second is 4.883 MebiBytes per second.  That said, your 300 is s l o w.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=40+Mbps+in+K...

At Wolfram Alpha, a Kibi is always 1024 leaving Kilo to 1000.  This makes keeping units straight far easier.

If you are using WiFi for your internet, try changing channels. Try making SURE you are using 5 GHz as that is faster.  Try the test wired.  If the router is old or cheap, replace it with a modern one that is WiFi 6.  (though you probably have nothing that does 802.11ax but your next phone probably will.)

• 4 weeks ago

On computer that is connected to modem/router with ethernet cable go to site www.speedtest.net.Check the real speed of the internet.

If you got 300 MBPS internet it is good.

2.If wired internet is slow,call ISP.

3.If wired internet is what you pay for,

router might be a problem:

a.update router firmware

b.Buy new router

Note:wifi speed will be always slower then wired internet but not as much as you got now.

• 4 weeks ago

Contest/letter case is important in this discussion.

In computer/network speak:  B = Bytes and b = bits.  There are 8 bits in a byte.

I assure you, you do not have a 40MB(bytes) per second Internet access speed.  You probably have 40Mbps second.

Files sizes are measured in bytes.  When you transfer a file from one computer to another the transfer speed is measured in Bytes per second (BPS).

So where are you seeing 300Kb/s?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.