East
East asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Moronic for packaged foods to claim that they’re made with “real ingredients”?

I’ve seen so many ads for processed foods that claim that they’re made with “real ingredients”.

Well, duh, every food has real ingredients, meaning actual ingredients.  Even ultra-processed such and such is made with real ingredients, even if the names of those ingredients are hard to pronounce and were dreamed up in a lab.

• geezer
    Favorite Answer

''Real ingredients'' means that if the product has vanilla in it (for example)

it's real vanilla pods (vanilla extract)

and not an artificial vanilla flavour that was made in a lab (vanilla essence).

Things ''dreamed up in a lab'' are NOT ''real ingredients''

they are ''man made (or artificial) ingredients''

and @ Barry .. ''Home Cooked Food'' means that the meals have been cooked on the premises and are not ready-meals that have been ''bought in'' from an outside caterer.

I thought it was kind of silly until a freight salvage store I was prowling through had a bottle of cheese flavoring for sale. I bought it out of curiosity and tried it out. I made a white sauce (butter, flour and milk) then added some of the cheese taste. It tasted exactly like I had added Cheddar to the white sauce. Big surprise. I'm guessing there is an artificial everything since Toco Bell claimed that their beef was 35% or more real beef.

• kswck2

'Real' ingredients usually refers to a lack of artificial ingredients, like Flavorings and Colorings, not real vs. fake food.

• Barry

It's just marketing spiel that lame brains believe. Near me there is a pub that advertises 'home cooked food' on a sign outside. I don't think so.