Help with buying food trailer?

We are looking for a trailer and found this one however I’m buying it form a charity which hasn’t used it in a couple years and can’t really tell me how some of the stuff works, whilst I’ve researched online certain things I wanted to ask the following; 

1. How can I find the weight of it? 

2. There is rust underneath, how common is that? I’m told as long as I can’t poke holes in the base then I can de-rust and paint over it, any ideas of how expensive that is? Not sure how I would do this without having it raised

3.  Any ideas on how much you think it’ll cost to fix up a bit?

4. It doesn’t have a sink and I am wondering how that is even possible? Can you reall use just containers of water? 

5. It’s gas and electric and comes with a generator, no idea how to test this, how do I know the gas is working?

6. On the tow bar I thought there should be an extra cable which slams on the brakes if it detaches during transit, I can’t seem to see one, is that normal?

7. Would you recommend using gas for the cookers and electric everything else? What are your thoughts?

8. How do I get the stands down to level it? I can see under it there are stands attached to the bottom, I didn’t pull too hard but wondering if I do just pull?

9. What do you think of the overall condition? They had it refereed inside 3-4 years ago but didn’t do anything with the chassis.

Sorry for all the questions but if anyone can answer any of the above it would be really helpful, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzi7Qf06Usc

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3ma8p4tzDS3vIy_mwpRn94gwguVD1WaotvAOL5ejrTMrtbitCfO3_7Cwo

PHOTOS LOCATED HERE http://streetvendorforum.com//index.php?topic=1000...

scroll down, sorry I had tech issues putting the pictures on Y/A

@USA - Thank you for the information, I found another plate on it by the front, it says ''226953267' '1500', I've added the photo to the forum page, it's a UK one so perhaps the first numbers are a built date? 22/6/95? I did read somewhere that in the EU if they are built after 1996 they should include the weight, not really sure how old this thing is, interesting RE vents, there are two small roof vents plus the door and front, I think you are right it wasn't made for food. 

Favorite Answer

ask the following;

1. How can I find the weight of it?    ((Look on the tongue of the trailer or the door frame.   It may also have it in the instruction book.   Look at the current registration and see if the weight is listed there.  If all else fails you can take it to a truck stop and get it weighed.   Make sure they have the title to it and the person listed as the owner signs it over to you. ))

2. There is rust underneath, how common is that? I’m told as long as I can’t poke holes in the base then I can de-rust and paint over it, any ideas of how expensive that is? Not sure how I would do this without having it raised.   (( If it is just the frame that is rusty and it is less than ten years old,   just scrape it a bit and spray it with Rustolium.))    

3.  Any ideas on how much you think it’ll cost to fix up a bit?  (No)

4. It doesn’t have a sink and I am wondering how that is even possible? Can you reall use just containers of water?  ((If it does not have a water tank,  pump,  gray water holding tank and sink then it was not built as a food service trailer.  To be legal in most places you are going to have to install all that.  It will run about $500-1000 depending upon how many modifications you have to make to get it installed.))

5. It’s gas and electric and comes with a generator, no idea how to test this, how do I know the gas is working?  (You turn on the gas and test the burners.  I did NOT see the generator.   If it is one you set up outside someone will steal it.   If it is inside it is dangerous.) 

6. On the tow bar I thought there should be an extra cable which slams on the brakes if it detaches during transit, I can’t seem to see one, is that normal?   ((It probably has electric brakes that will come on when the power from the main vehicle stops when the plug gets pulled out.))  

7. Would you recommend using gas for the cookers and electric everything else? What are your thoughts?  ((Gas is more efficient but when your gas runs out you are kind of screwed.  If it has a generator I would use electric for everything.  You can always suck gas from the tow car.))

8. How do I get the stands down to level it? I can see under it there are stands attached to the bottom, I didn’t pull too hard but wondering if I do just pull?  ((Most are crank.  You need a long handle wrench to do it,  which should come with the trailer.))

9. What do you think of the overall condition? They had it refereed inside 3-4 years ago but didn’t do anything with the chassis.    ((Check the tires.   Trailers often have great looking tire tread but they are old OLD tires.   If they are more than 5 years old you will need to replace them.  ))

.............. There seems to be an overall lack of ventilation.   You need vents, windows or doors on all four sides so you can ensure there is a breeze thru it when you are cooking,  specially with gas.    If the price is just a couple of thousand you can probably fix it up and still have a good deal.   If they want more than $2500 I would walk away and go find a trailer that was BUILT from the start as a food trailer.