Anonymous

How much sleep do I actually need?

I’m 20 years old, and last year I left college to go on a “gap year”. Obviously my plan fell apart because of the pandemic and so I’ve deferred my uni plans for next year, but I haven’t slept consistently well since leaving college. All through school and college I would wake up at seven in the morning, go to bed at 10 at night and need to catch up on sleep on the weekend, and when I was just left to it I could sleep 10 till 8 in the morning (so 10 hours a night). 

I recently did the Sleepio course, which encouraged me to sleep just eight hours a night (so 10 till 6) and I found it worked quite well at helping me get to sleep but I couldn’t keep this routine going for very long in quarantine. I have a feeling I might have been oversleeping before which has been contributing to my sleep problems, but when I try to sleep 10 till 6 I just can’t and my sleep problems get even worse. I don’t stay up late because it’s so boring and all I can do is read or watch tv. 

I’m also a very sensitive person and I’ve heard that sensitive people need more hours of sleep per night.

I am really very confused. All I really want is a regular sleep routine because I know how bad it is for you to sleep irregularly.

Please can somebody help me as I’m getting desperate and I want to make it through this year and maybe into uni without feeling miserable and sleep deprived all the time. Maybe carry some good habits into university?

Thanks 

I exercise exactly the same amount as during normal life/pre lockdown.

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

People's need for sleep can vary quite a bit but at 20, 10 hours is excessive and there should be no need to sleep longer on weekends. You should be able to get by on 8 hours or less.  Exercise during the day may help.  You shouldn't exercise within 2 hours of your bedtime. Your level of inactivity during the pandemic is probably adding to your problem. As you age, you will sleep less.  I can get by on 6 hours, but 7 is better.

• Tavy

Sensitive people don't need extra sleep. At your age 7 hours is enough, maybe more at weekends if you were working.

Sleep patterns are different for everyone. New mothers only get a few hours broken sleep for months.

You seem to be making a fuss over nothing.