AG asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 4 weeks ago

Ankle sprain or something more? ?

About a week ago, I was tripped in soccer and my foot bent inward, and I hurt my ankle. I heard and felt a pop when this happened. It swelled up to about the size of a golf ball and bruised quite a bit. About 4 days later, it was feeling better enough to do very light soccer playing. In the game, I stepped on someone’s foot and my foot bent upward. This hurt my ankle and i felt a very sharp pain in it. The pain is in the outer part of my ankle, where the bone is more prominent. Whenever I bring the foot down to where there is pressure on my Achilles, i hear and feel a popping noise. I’ve had sprains in the past, and they’ve all healed relatively quickly. None of them have been this swollen or bruised. What does it sound like to you? 

i would go see your doctor about it

Exactly what happened to me and the pain sounds the same. Although it wasn't done by playing football (I'm Scottish haha) for me, it was an avulsion fracture. Which should be seen to asap. When a ligament that holds the ankle bone in place tears and pulls a piece of bone away - that's the popping noise.