Is a Tom Collins a rare cocktail?

I've noticed that about three bars I've went to have no idea what the drink is or how to make it.  

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

No, but as with many cocktails its popularity tends to wax and wane over the years.  In places like New England, its a perennial summertime favorite.

Older bartenders will know it, but younger ones probably haven't encountered it yet.  Which is kind of ironic, given that a standard bar staple is Collins Mix.  And a Collins Glass is standard glassware.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

So much depends on where in the world you are, and what sort of area in town you are in.

In the mid 1960s, in a holiday job in a local tourist pub in southern England, I was asked by some Americans for 'Dry Martinis'.  I served them dry Martini vermouth, as I would to British customers. I had no idea that they were expecting a cocktail of gin and dry Martini vermouth.

• 1 month ago

These days, yes. It's out of style. Younger bartenders might never have been asked for one.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ah, gin, lemon juice and club soda. It was Very popular back in the 1950's. But short of seeing it on a diner placemat, it would be rather rare to see someone younger than say 80 to order it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not rare, but a thing of the past. I remember it from the 60s, although it was probably around sooner than that.

I'm surprised the bartender didn't google it. I've had bartenders do that for my order. 

Edit: It's from the late 1800s. The ingredients are something pretty much every bar has on hand.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222511/tom-colli...

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it might be, just ask them the next time you go to the bar there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.