blondechick89 asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Can dogs have water from the sink?

My chihuahua is almost 11. I'm in a chihuahua Facebook group and some of the people in there said that you shouldn't give your dog water from the sink.

Is this true? 

Well, it depends on where you're from.

For example, where I live it's completely safe for humans to drink tap water, and in fact very normal. Therefore, that's the water my dog drinks too.

However, if you live in a country where humans aren't supposed to drink tap water, I wouldn't recommend it for your dog either.

I say if you can drink it, then your dog can too. Otherwise, no.

Can a Chi reach a sink?   Mine have water in bowls from the tap in the sink and are fine.    If the tapwater where you are is ok for you, it will be ok for your dogs.

Perhaps it's water from the loo that people warn dog owners against.  99.9% it may be fine but it's just the 1% when somebody has put toilet cleaner in there, that could be disasterous.

If your tap water is safe for you to drink, then its safe for your dog.

"People on facebook" often like to nitpickeveryone else's husbandry methods..  They have a "my way or the highway" type mentality.

you get water for the pet from the kitchen tap

OMG really, dogs drink out of a toilet, i'm pretty sure your dog will be fine w/o the Perrier

Yes where i live they certainly can. Though i dont know the state of your local tapwater either.

• A

Water comes from a faucet, as long as it is from a faucet and not dirty dish water from the sink there is no problem with it.