Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Could a passenger be charged with leaving the scene of an accident? ?

So this morning, my brother was going to drop me off at work. We came around the corner from our house and some kid scratched our front bumper and broke our left turn blinker light. The kid’s father came out, and since we were right around the corner from home, I was going to run home to get our mother. But the father yelled at me saying, “Excuse me, you were a passenger, you’re not allowed to leave!” So I figured I won’t take any chances and just called her on the phone to come down. But what if I did leave the scene?

• L

Yes, you can.  YOU were a witness.  The father did the right thing and you did the right thing by phoning your mother.

The passenger was not the driver and is nothing more than a witness. I cannot think of any place where a witness is required to remain on the scene.

• John

In my state, there was a court decision regarding this issue a few years ago.  After a rather serious accident, both of the drivers stayed at the site.  About 4 or 5 passengers, however, jumped out of one vehicle and fled on foot.  Those men were later charged with leaving the scene of an accident.  The judge ruled that the passengers could not be charged with that offense.  

Actually, the VICTIM can't be charged with leaving the scene. Even the driver responsible usually can't be convicted if they leave sufficient information to locate them later.

• Bruce

State laws can vary, so I can only answer for my state. A passenger is under no legal obligation to stay. He is not even obligated to identify himself, although that would prevent him from filing a claim if he was injured. 

Sue the kids family,

Honestly if you left to get your mother and came right back you would have been there before the police even had time to arrive and they likely wouldn't have cared. Note I'm not saying whether or not you COULD get charged because I'm not 100% sure of the law on this one, I'm saying the leaving the scene is more about running from the scene and trying to avoid consequences not your situation(however get a cop having a bad day and they might use the exact wording and be a dick about it).

A driver can be charged for leaving the scene of an accident, not a passenger unless you did something to cause the accident like open a door into traffic.  People yelling about stuff does not make them right.