Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 4 weeks ago

Is there any way to become an rn without actual college?

I dream of being a school nurse but l am trying to find the best path for myself to become an rn. is there any trade program options that would put me in position for school nursing or RN that wouldnt cost me 4 years or thousands of dollars? 

I know ill get the comments complaining i should just go to college but not everyone has the same recourses so keep it to yourself please, i am just asking a question. 

• Scott

No. To be a registered nurse you must have a BS in nursing.

• RICK

you can get an Associates Degree in Nursing and get your RN license.  Only takes 2 years

• edward

You could go to university.  

There are many ADN (associate degree) programs that typically take 2 years to complete.  Diploma/trade school programs really are not an option for becoming an RN anymore.

A lot of U.S. states may require a school nurse to have become a RN with a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing).  The school nurse usually has to have obtained school nursing certification too.  Please also be aware, however, that there may *not* be too many jobs for school nurses.  Most stay at their jobs until retirement or getting laid off/fired, and even a high school may only have one or two school nurses.

How about taking a look at some job sites like "indeed."  There are *some* jobs listed for school nurses with a LPN, however, the majority of jobs are for RNs, especially with a BSN.  That is most likely due to the school nurse having to basically do their own triage of patients (students).  You may be aware, however, triage is to place the patients in order of the severity of the patients' conditions and/or injuries.

No. You might look into becoming a CNA or LPN, but college is required if you want to be an RN.