What are the pros and cons of a .270 Winchester to a 30-06?

I’ve only used a 270 when I’ve hunted deer, many years ago, it was my fathers, I was 14-16 years old. My dad was great with it, taking deer at 500 yards.

Nowadays, anyone younger than me insists the 30-06 is superior, and doesn’t believe me when I say the 270 is derived from a 30 06 casing. Can anyone tell me where the 270 excels and where it’s inferior to a 30-06?

• Mr.357

For shooting deer, it just doesn't matter.

The main reason why the .30-06 has so many fankids is that it was a military cartridge. For most hunting, there is little difference between the two. NOTE: The second statement is based upon hunting in thick forests. Open country may require flatter-shooting cartridges.

My cousin is the big hunter in the family and his favorite is the .270.

mine is a Steyr 7.62X51 (.308) and could take deer at a bit longer range.

My dad shoots 30-06 and about the same as mine.

The thing here is where we hunt, 500 to 600 yards is about all you have to shoot in at best, so given a choice, I would use the .270. It is the lightest of the 3, mine being heaviest with 24 inch barrel and near 9.5 pounds loaded but will outshoot dads 30-06.

I don't think you could tag any of these as superior. depends on the environment.

My gun is a tac driver out to 880 yards, 30-06 second, the .270 ???

Both are fine hunting cartridges.  Have used both however, the 30-06 has more versatility in loading for different sized game.  

• Robin

First he didn’t take deer at 500 yards. The 270 shots flatter. The 30/06 can use 220 gun and is good for all bears 

I cant add much to what the other guys have said, other than maybe the '06 ammo may be more available. I love my 270 Win, but there have been times when I could '06 ammo and not 270.

If you compare the two in terms of the amount of energy they have their very close. 30-06 only slightly more and only on some loads. .270 Is faster and has a flatter shooting trajectory. 30-06 you can go with a heavier bullet far larger game. .270 tops out at 150gr where 30-06 tops out at 220gr.

Everything 30-06 can take so can the .270 Winchester. However if you’re hunting elk, moose, brown or grizzly bear you have to go with a heavier grain. On game like that a 150gr .270 is pushing it. You had to have a damn good shot.

The .270's strengths are lower recoil and a flatter trajectory.

The 30-'06 strengths are availability of more and heavier loads for tougher game.

The .270 is capable of taking down just about anything in North America, but the 30-'06 has more energy at the longer ranges.