Is going to bars a waste of money ?

Why would anyone go out and spend 6 dollars per beer, when they could get a 6 pack at the grocery store for about the same amount 

• God

It's the social experience.  Some people would rather stay at home and get drunk.

• Depends if you value the atmosphere and vibe of being able to talk to people or not.

if all you want is a cheap drunk, then hide your car keys and stay home. 

and if you are looking for other people, companionship or love then try church or temple or a continuing ed class that meets in class is still cheaper than a bar. 

but if you want a night of meaningless sex with a total stranger mixed with a dash of a real risk of getting your rearend kicked by some gym-muscled drunk nothing beats going out to bars!!! 

total waste of money like $120 a bottle for whisky , every bar waters down their drinks none of the drinks you get in any bar ( unless you are a friend of the owner) tastes like it should, takeaway places are the same with sodas, you can only get genuine colas in a supermarket in sealed cans or bottles

I think bar's are a waste of money when I can drink at  home if I want! 

• kswck2

It Does become a waste of money over time. But usually by then, you have already spent a fortune in them. 

• Embery

That would depend on your economic circumstances. Six dollars means nothing to me in the great scheme of things. I've spent more on a good dinner with friends than some people make in a week. Six dollars? What good is that?

Bars don't exist solely to sell alcohol. They have a social aspect that is more important than the spirits they sell. In Great Brittian, pubs have served as community centers for generations. In the US, they serve as a place to meet new people and romantic interests. I don't go to bars because I meet my social needs elsewhere, but the $6.00 beer gives you the opportunity to meet new people.

I can't recall the last year I went to a bar to drink.

I've been brewing my own since 1994.  I try my best to brew my 200 gallons limit of beer, wine, cider and mead ever year.  ; ' )

It would be to me as I have enough liquor for a few years of moderate drinking and a 

couple months' worth of beer. Plus with the Covid pandemic it's best to avoid crowds.

Here is another reason - If home and drunk just sleep it off.. do not risk a DUI or worse.

ps: Beer that sells in-store for 6 dollars a 6 pack probably isn't very good at any price.