Can my sibling contest my father's will?

My brother found a copy of my father's will that he had executed more than 20 years ago. We had a group call with all of us siblings. My sisters are in disagreement about how my father should be cared for when he gets out of rehab following a ministrock. My brother mentioned in the call that he had an executed will in which he has no mention of one of my half sisters (some family drama that was happening 20 years ago) and my other half sister gets a lower amount. Me and my two brothers are listed as the primary beneficiaries. My sisters were angry, as they claim our father had discussed with them handling his finances and his will about 10 years ago. Maybe he forgot the will he had executed 20 years ago? But my question is: Can my sisters contest his original executed will? Their anger was as if something had been stolen from them and they think my brother doctored the original will or took my father to the lawyer's office and coerced him into signing it. My brother has been the primary person caring for my father. He insists that my father arranged this will on his own without my brother's help. 

newsflash, your father is alive. if no one can find another will other than the one

that currently exists, there,s nothing they can do.`

Of course they can. People do it frequently. They hire an attorney and the courts decide if they have a valid claim. Sometimes evidence suggests they do, sometimes not. It's not illegal to try to contest a will. 

• Chanel

Could you ask your dad about the will and explain that your sisters are upset.

Personally I would name the people who have helped me and been there for me in the will.

Do your sisters help him out?

As it was 20 years ago your dad has probably forgot all about it.

I knew a lady who took very good care of her mother and she had 2 older brothers but the lady who cared for her was the beneficiary and her mother had left the 2 men about a thousand each.

It was quite apt that her daughter got everything in the house plus the bank account.

I hope this helps.

why are you worrying about his will? the guy isnt even dead. the valid will is the one he last made. if he made a different will before this new will was made the old will is void and no longer enforceable. ask him if there is an updated will or if the one he has now is the current will. tell him its causing controversy and you want to know what he wants so you can follow his wishes and make sure you do everything the way he wants too.

If there is a new will then that stands. 

And your father had a mini stroke, not a fatal heart attack. He's not even dead !  

Yikes.

A notarized executed will is void if a more recent notarized executed will exists. Thus if there is a more recent will, there is no need to contest the older one, because it is moot, along with the fact that any will is moot because Dad is still alive.

Contact the lawyer who made the will, he has a copy of it, them you will see if it was changed, maybe there is even a newer one that is being hidden by your bro