Toddacanda asked in Dining OutFast Food · 4 weeks ago

How come there aren't many Long John Silver's Seafood Shoppes left?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

If you've ever had fresh seafood and then stopped there for seafood you'd never want to go back. They serve a very poor imitation.

• 2 weeks ago

The one near us closed recently. The manager,  who we've known for decades, told us that location had been losing money for years. Too much competition. 

• 3 weeks ago

Because a restaurant dedicated to fish isn't as popular as it may seem to be. And this isn't merely fish--it's FRIED in oil, incredibly high in calories, and the preparation outweighs any benefits there are to eating fish in the first place. Fish has always been a kind of "adjunct" choice at any restaurant. Unless you live near the ocean, and most of the population doesn't, getting healthy and tasty fish seems to be more difficult. 

I never cared much for this chain--the fish wasn't that good. The frying made it oily and sometimes it wasn't very tasty at all because the oil hadn't been changed for weeks. I don't doubt they simply had fewer customers than other places where the food was more reliable. 

• 3 weeks ago

how come people don't eat clam chowder? how come?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • SW-6
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

We passed a Long John Silver's going to an appointment way out of town and I was SO excited and made plans to stop there to eat on our way home.  Honey, let me tell you - that meal was one of the worst meals I have ever had.  It was a flavorless thrown together dry greasy mess.  I tried to save it with the malt vinegar, but after the first two or three bites, I was done.  Long John Silver's was a favorite of mine growing up.  I don't know what happened, maybe they stopped caring, whatever, but I could hardly believe how nasty that meal was.  Same thing with a White Castle I found one day.  OMG it was bad.  For me, I will have to hold onto the memory of how good biting into a burger or piece of that fish was back in the day.  I will never trust either of these places to bring that memory back ever again.  :'(

• Scott
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Biggest reason? They are owned by the same company that owns Taco Bell. The restaurants were much better before that. Now it's just greasy fried crap.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

many were losing money..........

• 3 weeks ago

The fish quality is bad, it’s finger fish for children 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In my metro area there's 4 of them. There used to be more including the one that I used to go to because it had a drive-thru. That one no longer exists because about 5 years ago it got burnt down because some crazy woman started the cheap motel next to it on fire and the fire jumped over to it.

• 4 weeks ago

They weren't financiqally successful in many places.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.