Toddacanda asked in Dining OutFast Food · 4 weeks ago

How come there aren't many Long John Silver's Seafood Shoppes left?

• 1 week ago

If you've ever had fresh seafood and then stopped there for seafood you'd never want to go back. They serve a very poor imitation.

The one near us closed recently. The manager,  who we've known for decades, told us that location had been losing money for years. Too much competition. 

Because a restaurant dedicated to fish isn't as popular as it may seem to be. And this isn't merely fish--it's FRIED in oil, incredibly high in calories, and the preparation outweighs any benefits there are to eating fish in the first place. Fish has always been a kind of "adjunct" choice at any restaurant. Unless you live near the ocean, and most of the population doesn't, getting healthy and tasty fish seems to be more difficult. 

I never cared much for this chain--the fish wasn't that good. The frying made it oily and sometimes it wasn't very tasty at all because the oil hadn't been changed for weeks. I don't doubt they simply had fewer customers than other places where the food was more reliable. 

how come people don't eat clam chowder? how come?

• SW-6

We passed a Long John Silver's going to an appointment way out of town and I was SO excited and made plans to stop there to eat on our way home.  Honey, let me tell you - that meal was one of the worst meals I have ever had.  It was a flavorless thrown together dry greasy mess.  I tried to save it with the malt vinegar, but after the first two or three bites, I was done.  Long John Silver's was a favorite of mine growing up.  I don't know what happened, maybe they stopped caring, whatever, but I could hardly believe how nasty that meal was.  Same thing with a White Castle I found one day.  OMG it was bad.  For me, I will have to hold onto the memory of how good biting into a burger or piece of that fish was back in the day.  I will never trust either of these places to bring that memory back ever again.  :'(

• Scott

Biggest reason? They are owned by the same company that owns Taco Bell. The restaurants were much better before that. Now it's just greasy fried crap.

many were losing money..........

The fish quality is bad, it’s finger fish for children 

In my metro area there's 4 of them. There used to be more including the one that I used to go to because it had a drive-thru. That one no longer exists because about 5 years ago it got burnt down because some crazy woman started the cheap motel next to it on fire and the fire jumped over to it.

They weren't financiqally successful in many places.