myles asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can you buy field bred Irish setters in Australia? If so where?

There are two types of Irish setter the show dog which is tall lanky long skinny face long hair and ears. The field bread Irish setter is the one they use as a gun dog it is a shorter breed with shorter hair face isn’t long and skinny and shorter ears this is the breed I want 

i remember when red setters were popular when i was young. I have seen red setters at dog shows so i believe they can be brought in australia. Maybe google it

I have no idea.  I would have to do the research & that is something that you can do yourself.  This is the world wide web & Australia is a very very long way away from where I live.  Look locally instead of world wide.

Look online for Irish Setters with ADVANCED hunting TITLES or who are FIELD TRIAL champions in your country.  If all else fails - you can import such a dog from UK or USA.  If you have an Aussie parent breed club; start there.

The breeder.   

Why don't you approach a reputable experienced breeder and ask.   But tread carefully because those who care about their chosen breed, don't like varieties that take any breed away from it's Breed Standard.   There shouldn't be any difference between a show and a working Irish other than the exaggerated coat!

Have you thought about looking for a Toller (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever)?  They may not be common on Australia however?

Get a pit bull. Much better. My big strong American Staffordshire bull terrier can kill anything and everything he wants to. Be tough get a pit.