Over-torqueing my lug nuts to 100ft/lbs?

Hello I own a 2018 Honda Accord Sport, I've been torqueing my lug nuts to 100ft/lbs which my family member recommended.

The torque spec for my lug nuts is 80ft/lbs, is this really a problem?

Is it okay to re-torque my wheels to 80 ft/lbs? (loosening it, then re-torqueing it)

Reason why I'm asking about re-torqueing is because I was thinking the bolt has potentially stretched from the 100ft/lbs of torque force, and if 80 ft/lbs wouldn't be enough anymore. Again I'm a newbie.

Favorite Answer

The problem with over-torquing the lug nuts on a Honda Accord is that you risk warping the rotors.  Loosen them all and retorque to the correct torque of 80 ft lbs. If your brakes shutter when braking you have warped a rotor and if not all is well. The studs did not stretched with just 20 ft lbs too much. 

No that's not a problem. I've been torqueing lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. for 40 years. On vehicles with 22mm lug nuts I torque them to 125 ft lbs.

stop listening to people who are guessing. yes it's fine to loosen them and re-torque them. stretching of the bolt is not an issue. that would just mean that the nut threads down a tiny bit farther. the real issue is if the bolt threads get stripped or if it snaps off entirely, that would  probably happen above 200ft/lbs. or above 300.