Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Since a considerable number of feminists dislike the use of “female” when describing women, how do we restructure our sentences?

Are these sentence fragments grammatically correct? If so, are they admittedly more clumsy than using “female”?:

“The women engineers...”

“The engineers who are women...”

“Of all the engineers, the women...”

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Feminists don't object to "female" being used to describe women wherever "male" would be appropriate to describe a man. You might have a sexism issue if you only ever single out "female engineers" but never "male engineers", or if you refer to men as "men" but women as "females", but the word itself isn't the problem.

• amy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Im sick of words being redefined. If its not in an official dictionary I dont care for your stupid definition. Funny how feminist redefine so many words yet when you point out they are not for equality they go straight to the dictionary definition. This wont hold for long in western society. This will flop in 5-10yrs. Cant wait for the insanity to be over.

@Liz no just feminists theyre the ones with critical theory (ideology) not the rest of the population.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Female is fine.

• Piero
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When my own kids were graduating from college in the early 1970s, they called themselves "lady engineers".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Some of the Engineers were women and the rest were men.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A true feminist wouldn't want any gender qualifier before titles like "engineer". 

• liz
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The first of those three seems the most natural if your intention is to avoid using the word “female”.  

The significance of the question wouldn’t come up too much in everyday conversation, and I’m not sure that disapproval of the word “female” is just a feminist thing.  I suspect there are plenty of non-feminist thinking women who find it grates a little to be referred to in this way because it eliminates the human element.  Only humans can be women and so that sounds more fitting. 

Language is constantly evolving and people will use different phrases for the same meaning so you just have to go with what sounds best to your ears. 

In general the more technical the subject matter, the more acceptable it would be to say “female”. 

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with the sentences you’re giving. It’s when female is used as a noun that it’s annoying.  Men aren’t commonly called males in everyday conversation. 

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I really see no reason to care what feminists like or dislike. Feminists have openly ignored what men want for society for a hundred years and have in fact gone out of their way to insult men for standing up for their beliefs and what they want for society at large. I have no respect for them and I see no reason any other man should either. 

Men should be working to tear down feminist society and rebuild it back to the way men structured it for millions of years, not cater to feminists and their obnoxious bullsh*it. 

• 1 month ago

"Since a considerable number of feminists dislike the use of “female” when describing women, how do we restructure our sentences?"

Why should we care what feminists like or dislike when they don't consider the things that men like, and even go out of their way to impose so much dis-like onto men just because of their sex, by way of the feminist ideology?

And speaking of sex, this is how many people now go about identifying others.  They identify them by SEX and not GENDER.  Sex terms are male and female whereas gender terms are man or woman or intersex or agender or genderqueer or any other of the >64 genders one might choose for themselves

Free persons reserve the right to identify people by their sex, and no state authority in any free country (yet) can tell them that they must identify people by gender, or hair colour, or height, or weight, or any other method of communication. 

This was Jodan Petersons fight against the Canadian government, and he appears to have won this battle for the time being.  It's also exactly where he beat out feminist Cathy Newman in that famous interview when she asked him why he should have the right to risk "offending" a trans person while she spent the entire interview working to offend him. 

Go to 22:10 to get to that point.  Otherwise, the whole video is a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

Youtube thumbnail

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your stupidity is showing 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.