• 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

According to UN 195 

• Phil
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

The UN says 193, not 195,

and wikipedia says 206.

The 206 listed states can be divided into three categories based on membership within the United Nations System: 193 member states, two observer states and 11 other states

• 3 weeks ago

Countries in the World: 195 

There are 195 countries in the world today. 

This total comprises 193 countries that are member states of the United Nations 

and 2 countries that are non-member observer states: 

the Holy See and the State of Palestine.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Note: 'How many counties?' - plural.

Most sources say 197 (It was 196 until South Sudan broke away from Sudan).  But note that more than 200 attended the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

I would say that Billrussell42 is over the odds in going above 400!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It depends upon what is counted as a country. Most consider 196 a good number, though 193 to about 251 countries and territories are possible answers.

Some examples in question:Taiwan, as Republic of China? Vatican City? Palestine? Mongolia? Kosovo? Hong Kong? Puerto Rico? UK is Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England, and the Queen of England is also the Queen of Canada and Australia.Two articles I foundhttps://worldview.stratfor.com/article/how-many-co... State Department's list of recognized nations and include Taiwan, or the United Nations voting and observers and Taiwan are both 196. The United Nations page (www.un.org) may be hacked now. My anti-virus firewall blocks it. If that is why the question is asked, it didn't work for me.

• 3 weeks ago

reference has a list of sovereign states. The number varies between 206 undisputed and 412 including those disputed.

Compiling a list such as this can be a difficult and controversial process, as there is no definition that is binding on all the members of the community of nations concerning the criteria for statehood.

The 206 listed states can be divided into three categories based on membership within the United Nations System: 193 member states, two observer states and 11 other states. The sovereignty dispute column indicates states having undisputed sovereignty (190 states) and states having disputed sovereignty (16 states, of which there are six member states, one observer state and nine other states).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.