Is there a word for words that have different meanings?

I am aware of homonyms, homographs, homophones, etc... But am looking for the word that would describe the relationship for categories of a word such as how the Greek concept for love has multiple characteristics but is still broadly identified as live.


Bluebellbkk, your an idiot. One-you don't understand the question, or don't have the capacity to. Two-there are more than three Greek words for love

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Words like that are called "polysemous," meaning "having many meanings." I'm not sure if there's a noun for that, but you can say "polysemous words." 

  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    You mean, there are three Greek words for different kinds of love, but in English we have just the one word, "love".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.