Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

How much are deer destructive to the environment?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Matt
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

If their numbers are too high you can see destruction to farm crop and you'd see more incidents of vehicle collisions with them.

• 3 weeks ago

It depends of course on where you are talking about, but in many areas, deer are a nightmare. Like giant rats.

A) Natural forests and wild areas: Deer are overpopulated because of the fragmentation of forests and loss of predators. Over-browsing and eating by deer means that they eat all the seedlings and young plants of native plant species and are bad for forest regeneration.

B) Agriculture: I used to run a nursery, and deer are a nightmare pest. One deer can destroy entire rows of trees by rubbing against them, chewing on them, etc. Same is true in orchards, vineyards, and other types of farms.

C) Residential landscapes: Where my mom lives the deer are out of control, and it's way too densely populated for hunting so the deer are completely unphazed by humans. They come right up to her kitchen windowboxes and eat the flowers out of them.

• 4 weeks ago

Not nearly as much as wild horses.   I went hunting one year in eastern Nevada.   Nice little ravines with little creeks down the middle.   Deer tracks at the creeks.   Small trees and brush right down to the creek.    I hunted the same area five years later.    No creek,  just a muddy bog down the middle of the ravine,  no small trees,  no brush, just bare rock.  Horse tracks all over the place including some with shoes.   Not one deer print to be found.   IMHO we need to make wild horses a game animals so we can keep their numbers down so they do not drive out the natural game. 

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Any destruction created by deer is suffered by things that don't belong.  They are a natural part of the North American environment, and have been for thousands of years.  Deer populations are just now back to where they were before Europeans came to this continent. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If their 'environment' is your yard, then extremely. There is very little that grows that a deer won't eat or at least try. Your rose bushes and flowers will be goners. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.