Is this sentence correct ?

Hopelessness is not a reality that we feel when we are clinically depressed; it is the hideous nature of depression that causes it.

Favorite Answer

It is grammatically correct. It is a true statement for some people, but not for everybody.

• A.J.

Grammar is correct. The word "reality" is probably not the best choice and the communication overall is not clear.

This is a simplified format:

Hopelessness is not [xxxxxxx] we feel when depressed

Depression causes hopelessness.

The rest of the sentence is adjectives and connecting words and trying to write in a way that sounds "extra smart".

I do not know exactly what the xxxxx is supposed to be.

cage? entrapment? 

I cannot exactly determine what the first sentence is saying that is different from the second because you use "not".  

Is this trying to state that hopelessness is not causing depression, that instead depression is causing hopelessness? 

It’s correct but confusing. I can understand what you’re trying to say but maybe simplify the first clause. This could be a super powerful sentence so just try to make sure if you were the reader it would be easy to comprehend