Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

My investments have nearly doubled in value over the course of the past 9 months, why? It makes no sense to me?

Jan 1 2020 - my mutual fund was worth 390,000

End of August 2020 - my mutual fund was worth 640,000

Why? I thought COVID would tank the economy. And it DID tank, but then it recovered, and then it did a hell of a lot more than recover

• kswck2

Thank Trump's economics-despite COVID. 

That's a great return, remember that the stock market is not the economy and does not always reflect what is happening on the news, I made a great return on my investment with Dominion Energy $D and sold most of my shares at a profit, even with the economy suffering.

The bottom line is, anything is possible and as you can see, the stock market has almost recovered from the bottom even though the economy will take years to fully recover. 

That's a 64% return.  Its still really good, but are you so lousy at math that you really thought this was "nearly double".  Anyhow, you probably just got really lucky with the timing.  Don't worry about it to much, you have plenty of time to lose it all.