Tala asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

I don't understand this paragraph from this self help book.?

"William Winter once remarked that "self-expression is

the dominant necessity of human nature.” Why can’t we adapt this same psychology to business dealings? When

we have a brilliant idea, instead of making others think

it is ours, why not let them cook and stir the idea themselves. They will then regard it as their own; they will

like it and maybe eat a couple of helpings of it." 

I don't understand, if I have a brilliant idea, why would I help others come up with it if it could greatly benefit me in my career? Did I misunderstand ?

• I think the William Winter quote is kind of misplaced in this paragraph. I think what he is actually referring to is self-realization, no self-expression. Self-realization is a basic discovery of the self, through any medium, be it business, spiritual, etc. I think what this person is attempting to say is that business interactions often involve a subliminal or culturally motivated competition. If we really wanted to get over a hurdle, it's more important to work together and let others come up with realizations on there own to make them feel like their part of the interaction, thus creating a more tightly knit, and motivated group of people. 

All this means is you need what you want to say.

If self expression is the dominant necessity of the human race, maybe he is setting the scene for self expression with a group of ppl "who cook and stir the idea for themselves."  I agree with you that the transition made by the author is very awkward indeed.