Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 weeks ago

How come we never feel the earth, the sun and milky way moving across the universe ?  we live on the 3rd planet of the sun.  do you know ?

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We only feel motion when there is a change in speed or direction (or both).

• 4 weeks ago

That Picture is wrong for a start

It is not the Milky Way

And Earth is a lot further in

Anyway, to your Question

We are on Earth, therefore travelling along on it

Just like sitting in a car that is moving

Everything around you moves along and you don't seem to be moving

Sort of

Earth is our Datum Point where we watch the rest of Space Move by

When I was very young and Unenlightened I used to wonder Why at the times of the Year when we meet our Biannual Equinoxes, we didn't feel a Jolt

But i have done a lot of growing up since and speak from a more Enlightened Plane

E=Mc Squared

And the Square on the Hypotenuse of a Right Angled Triangle is Equal to the Sum of the Square on the other two sides

Oops !! I have fell in !!

What do you know ? I float !!!

Eureka !!

Now where is that Salmon ?

Attachment image
    Source(s): As well as being Smarter than the Average Bear
  • 4 weeks ago

Because we are all moving at the SAME SPEEDS And directions as our location Earth and the Earth orbiting the Sun and the Sun orbiting Sagittarius A* and the movement of the entire Milky Way Galaxy toward Andromeda I (M31) and around Virgo 81 and the entire galaxy sheet toward the Great Attractor. 

All we can. We can feel or detect is acceleration or deceleration. 

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There are no sharp corners

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

We don't feel it because in order to feel it, a force must be acted upon it which requires an acceleration, or more precisely, a velocity gradient. If no such gradient exists within the observer's measurements, they will feel no such acceleration, and thus no force. It's the same reason why skydivers don't feel any forces acting upon them as they fall, because everything around them is also falling with them. Thus no velocity gradient exists in that particular reference frame.

Recall from grade school the equation F=ma. The force exerted on an object is proportional to the mass of the object and the velocity gradient. Since we typically expect mass to remain constant, in order for F=0, then a=0. Also recall Newton's universal law of gravitation F=(G*m1*m2)/(r^2). This states that the force of attraction between two massive bodies is equal to the product of their masses, divided by their distance squared, and all multiplied by "big G", aka the gravitational constant. Since both have F, we can replace this value in for the F=ma formula to get

((G*m1*m2)/(r^2))=m*a.

As for how do we know? Various techniques can be used to confirm that we indeed are on a mildly damp rock orbiting a star such as using the parallax effect on faraway stars, the fact that the other planets can have phases (similar to how the moon has phases as seen from the surface of earth) implies that they must orbit the sun, and not the earth. Otherwise, we would see them in full all the time (which we don't).

• 4 weeks ago

Because the motion is constant, there is no acceleration or deceleration, so you don't feel any force.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.