I have a Sharp Aquos 55 inch LED TV. It is plugged into the wall outlet. Should I get a surge protector to protect it from surges?

Generally speaking, yes.

A surge protector is really just an insurance policy. Is the cost of the protector (and you will need a decent one, not a $10 power strip with a fuse in it) worth the risk of replacing the TV. For most people the answer would be yes, but there are many factors not the least of which is your risk. If you live in Miami there is a much higher surge risk than in LA. But surges can happen everywhere as one posted mentioned about a car accident.

So if you feel like you should spend roughly $50 to protect your TV in case of an accident you should definitely do that. 

• Lance

A few years back while inspecting my uncles home theater set up...I noticed that the system did not have a surge suppressor. I recommended he get one...At the time he didn't think it was that big of a deal....About 6 months later a drunk driver ran into a transformer not that far from his house...The accident fried his TV...The next day I took him shopping for a surge suppressor at his request, also we looked at TV's but the surge suppressor was his main concern.

• garry

if your house is fitted with fuse instead of circuit breakers then definetly yes .

• bill

Not really unless you have issues with power.

It can't hurt.

• khalil

yes, also ground the dish and the roof antenna.

https://longrangesignal.com/tv-antenna-basics-how-...

Yes, if you are willing to pay for a good one,   

which will cost at least $35.     

Protection is rated by how many joules of energy 

the MOVs in the strip can absorb before they fail,

so the higher that number, the better. 

• Rick

I've got one on mine, AND on my computer.

Edge lit uses fiber optics to route the light to the screen and the televisions are thinner. But the difference in length of the fiber near the edge to the center can sometimes cause inconsistent brightness across the screen.

Back lit televisions are thicker but can have slightly better/more consistant brightness.