Do female gays suffer more prejudice than male gays?

• MARK

Yes, I think they have to be on the receiving end of more prejudice. I am gay and I am not effeminate. People are often surprised to learn I am gay. I do not behave in the way I do to hide my sexuality it is just the way I naturally behave. I can behave in an effeminate way, 'camp it up', for a laugh but it is not my natural way. At school no one ever called me a 'queer', '******', 'puff' (most widely used term then), and no one suspected I was gay, as far as I know. Several years ago a former female friend at school looked me up on Facebook and although we were good friends at school she had never suspected I was gay.

I knew of boys at my school who were effeminate and they were quite often bullied, mostly verbally but occasionally physically. It is also important to note that an effeminate male is not necessarily gay.

Therefore, I would anticipate men who are effeminate to suffer more overt prejudice because their behaviour draws attention to them. Even if they are straight or another sexuality they will behave in a way sen as stereotypical behaviour of a gay male by straight people. Gay men who are not effeminate will not suffer the same degree of prejudice because people are less likely to assume they are gay.

Of course, if your sexuality is known you are likely to be equally as liable to prejudice no matter how you behave. I think it is very important to understand that the prejudice those of us who are gay experience is not necessarily open and direct. It is often done more subtly.

• Rob

Agree with others, can't say there's more but there's a different kind of prejudice.

donnie is an idiot

Female gays don't suffer more prejudice than male gays. Both female and male gays suffer the same amount of prejudice. 

• donnie

Females aren’t gay their lesbian besides gay just means happy anyways stop hijacking words and things and making them into something it’s not like the rainbow you LGBTP people. 

• Isabel

Nope, just different