Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can I get evicted? ?

So I'm living at my moms apartment. I'm not on the lease but I'm paying for the apartment. My mom told me they are evicting me. I haven't received a eviction notice. Can I still get kicked out or will they give me 30 days to move out. Also does covid effect this? I heard you cant get evicted during the pandemic. 

If you ain't on the lease, she can kick you out if she feels like it. Immediately. Get packing.

You are not on the lease so you are there illegally.  They can evict you.

If you can prove you were living there for at least a month, you cannot get evicted immediately.  You need to have a piece of mail or some other legal proof showing how long you have been there.  

You will have to get 30 days notice before the first of the month.  So if they give you notice on Oct 15th then you would have to move out by Dec 1st because the notice does not take effect until Nov 1st.  

But if your parents can prove that you were not really living there.  For example, you were always a guest.  You don't have your own room there and you have your things somewhere else, then no eviction notice is required.  

As for the Covid, those are local laws.  Look up your city or state online to see what it says.

sounds like your mom is evicting you, which she legally can't do. it has to be up to the landlord (assuming your mom doesn't own it)

how is the apartment evicting YOU and not your mom too since she allowed you to live there without telling the landlord? this makes no sense, kid! you can't just evict 1 roommate, moron. pandemic is over. life is back to a sensible normal, most have their jobs back. stop using that excuse.

You can be evicted but they will have to give you proper notice. The amount varies place to place (usually around 30 days) but they'll have to give it to you, whatever it is where you live.  With covid evictions might be halted where you are (again, this varies state to state) so they may have to wait to evict you. 

If you have good credit and income then you might want to preempt allt his and go to them and tell them you'd like to rent your moms apartment (rent it with her if that applies).  Maybe they'd be happy to add you to the lease, they just don't liek someone being there who they haven't approved.

You can get evicted during the pandemic.  What you apparently misheard was that (1) there are a few places where you can't, because the courts are still closed, and (2) in theory, if the ONLY reason for the eviction is that you can't pay the rent and the reason you can't pay is the pandemic and you have applied unsuccessfully for every other possible option, and you meet numerous other criteria, then they might not be able to, but they usually can.  Since you are paying, and the reason is something else, they can evict you.

• R P

You and your mother can be evicted for a lease violation (you not being approved and not signing the lease).  

The eviction moratorium does not include lease violations. Your mother has already gotten the Notice to Cure, so the next step if you don't move out is that the landlord will file at the courthouse for your eviction.  You do not get another 30 days.

• Judy

You heard wrong.  You can't be evicted for being behind on the rent, but can for lease violations.

well yes they can evict you if you are not on the lease. Ask your mom what the reason they told her. You might not get kicked out if they said you are depending on who owns and manages to apartments. With private owners it will be totally up to them.