How long of a job to replace brake rotors/pads?

Tools I have are a floor jack and jack stands to keep the car suspended, of course following all the precautionary measures.

I will replacing my brake rotors/ pads for a 2018 Honda Accord sedan.

Yeah apparently people with 10th gen accords are having problems with their rear pads, which are wearing out so fast. I literally got no more rear pads, my fronts are still good though. I'm opting to replace all 4 rotors and pads so their durability will degrade equally if that makes sense.

I'm going to be doing this job myself, with my uncle guiding me, I feel confident after watching many different videos of doing this brake job. Also, I got all the tools needed! 

The rear rotors are uneven, and I've been squeaking for about 2 weeks now... It's crazy because I bought this car at 18K miles, and now its at 29K miles. I read online and think the electronic brake hold could be the cause, I will refrain from using that in the future.

Also to mention: In the past, with EBH on when I got on the throttle from a stop THEN engage the brake pedal just a little bit, I would feel stiffness and great resistance in the brake pedal. I think this is the culprit.

Favorite Answer

Watch a you tube on the job and compare your skill level to what the mechanic shows you to do. I would do it in an hour or 2, since I only have one pair of jack stands- including flushing the brake lines. I would not replace rotors unless they are warped or seriously gouged. It would take a super amount of stop and go driving to wear out brakes in just 2 years. Measure the pads to see if they really need to be replaced yet. My gut tells me some mechanic told you they do, but he's lying.

• Darla

Depends on how busy the place is. Did you have an appointment or not?

• garry

shouldnt take more that an hour , but then they will charge you for 2 hours .

Depends on the skill level of the person doing it

Doesn't make sense. Rear pads are more for the parking brake.  Once you are moving forward (like walking) your TOES STOP YOU, NOT YOUR HEELS.   So it is in a car.  The weight is transferred to the front of the car and the nose of the car bobs down during a hard stop, meaning the front brakes do 80%+ of the work. Rear wheels could be in the air.

. Which is why many of the cars have Front wheel discs, and rear wheel drum brakes. Discs react faster than drum brakes. They will never wear out equally. Unless you drive backwards as much as you drive forwards.

With the earlier cars when all there was were drum brakes all around.   The front drum shoes would be changed 2+ times before the back needed changing.   

. Unless you always drove with the parking brake ENGAGED. Then they wear out faster-driving forwards.

If the fronts are still good, then there is no reason to change the rotors.

My 07 still has original brakes & rotors because I don't drive much. So, no wear. Drive lots,wear out faster. Tail gate and wear out brakes faster.

You will eventually learn that.

How long will it take?  If you do not have all the proper tools and have to MICKEY MOUSE some of it, it could be the weekend.  It is the fault of the Beer.

• Barry

You evaluate rotor wear by thickness remaining and surface condition. If in any doubt at all replace them. These merchants who say they can do it in 30 minutes are clowns. I allow a morning to do them properly which includes wire brushing the hub seating and applying a smear of brake grease. This ensures the new rotor seats properly and doesn't rust onto the hub. Apply brake grease to all sliding faces of the calipers and a smear on the back of the pads. This suppresses brake squeal. Check that the caliper guide pins slide easily. Grease them if needed. Don't forget to thoroughly degrease the new rotors or the new pads will be contaminated.

• F

Maybe 30 minutes a corner UNLESS you get a seized bolt or chewed up screw then it can take all day.

• Ron

You must do a lot of driving to need to replace something that new

I could do it in about an hour - although the only reason I would change the rotors is if there is actually a reason to change them (i.e. if they are warped or if the hardface is gone).

If you've got four-wheel discs it might take longer - and make sure you know how to rotate/push the caliper back in that acts as the emergency brake.

For the backyard mechanic I would say 3-4 hours.