Bei asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Should I end this friendship?

I got my makeup done professionally for a date night with my boyfriend. I sent over a picture to my 4 friends and 3 of them said they didn’t like the hairstyle on me. It was my first time wearing short hair. The other one “J” told me that I looked ugly and like a clown. She said that my skin was too dark for red lipstick.  Then continued to make insults about my hair and makeup. I met all of these friends through J. They were her best friends years before I met her. So I just kind of joined their group 3 years ago. When J drinks she insults me. It never fails. I’m always the butt of jokes with her and she targets my skin complexion and hair every time. The other girls don’t say anything.

The tough part is, she’s done a lot for me. She’s had my back through everything since I’ve known her. I don’t know if I should feel like she isn’t my friend or if I’m just overreacting and being soft. I just feel like it went too far. And she made sure to tell me that she meant what she said. I talked to her the next day and told her that it hurt my feelings and I said that she wears things that I wouldn’t personally pick for her but I would never call HER ugly. She replied by saying “because YOU can’t call me ugly because I’m not and can pull off anything”. I haven’t talked to her in a couple days now and am thinking about just completely ending the friendship.. I just want to know if anyone has gone through this and if I’m making the right decision 

It was in our group text. We always text pictures of each other when we’re dressed up... or out on events. They have never said anything negative about each other. I guess I’m the outcast now and need to just cut ties...

• Jamies
    Favorite Answer

We all need a friend that is one in 100% honest. But this doesn't sound like an example of that. Shes inflating her own ego by using you. in this case it sounds like it's time to end the friendship. 

we all need that one friend who tells us when our breath is bad, our hair looks off, or something is clearly wrong. It just doesn't sound like that's what she's doing.

As I was reading this, I said to myself initially... these must be the high school mean girls.... then you mentioned drinking and dates. Anyway sweetie, these girls are not your friends. J sounds like she is using your insecurities to help boost her own self esteem.  And the fact that the other girls don’t defend you or say anything shows that they are no more of your friend than she is. You probably looked your absolute best and they were jealous. You said that she’s had your back, but at what cost? To do something for you and then make you feel like **** afterwards? Wear what you want. I would give you advice for if you decide to keep the friendship, but at the end of the day, if you have to have your guard up around someone then you shouldn’t be around them. End the friendship.

Time for new friends, all 4 of them need to go.

• Una

Your so-called friends thought you were flaunting your makeup and maybe boyfriend as well. You can see envy in their eyes and in their words. You can end their friendships or just turning low-profiled about your love life from now on.