Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Telling an employee of a business where you’re a regular that you’ve been thinking about her: inappropriate?

Did I cross a line here?

I am a member of a private club and am a regular.  The staff knows the members and we know the staff, as acquaintances.  They are wonderful.

The club closed due to coronavirus and just reopened.  I went back and saw one of my favorite staff members.  I told her that I was glad to see her, glad that she was back and that I had just been thinking about her.  That’s true; I had- I was hoping that she was OK and hadn’t lost her job.

Was I out of line?  I’m a guy and we are acquaintances.  But she recognized me even with a face mask.

Thanks, everyone.  I certainly was not hitting on her and am embarrassed if she thought that I was.  I guess from now on I just say “nice to see you” and nothing more?

Favorite Answer

Adding on you have been thinking about her was a bit much. Sounds like you were hitting on her.

YES. It is inappropriate. A lawyer did that to me at the law library where I worked. We were not friends, we were only acquainted through the legal profession and I was always extremely uncomfortable around him after that, and so was he because he could tell his words were unwelcome.

It's fine, as long as you didn't linger over the conversation.

You are over-thinking this.

Only if the staff member has a problem with it.

No, not at all.  It would have been different if you has inferred you had been thinking about her in a romantic sense, but perfectly acceptable to show concern for her health and professional life.