Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Telling an employee of a business where you’re a regular that you’ve been thinking about her: inappropriate?

Did I cross a line here?

I am a member of a private club and am a regular.  The staff knows the members and we know the staff, as acquaintances.  They are wonderful.

The club closed due to coronavirus and just reopened.  I went back and saw one of my favorite staff members.  I told her that I was glad to see her, glad that she was back and that I had just been thinking about her.  That’s true; I had- I was hoping that she was OK and hadn’t lost her job.

Was I out of line?  I’m a guy and we are acquaintances.  But she recognized me even with a face mask.

Update:

Thanks, everyone.  I certainly was not hitting on her and am embarrassed if she thought that I was.  I guess from now on I just say “nice to see you” and nothing more?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Adding on you have been thinking about her was a bit much. Sounds like you were hitting on her.

• 3 weeks ago

YES. It is inappropriate. A lawyer did that to me at the law library where I worked. We were not friends, we were only acquainted through the legal profession and I was always extremely uncomfortable around him after that, and so was he because he could tell his words were unwelcome.

• 3 weeks ago

It's fine, as long as you didn't linger over the conversation.

You are over-thinking this.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Only if the staff member has a problem with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

No, not at all.  It would have been different if you has inferred you had been thinking about her in a romantic sense, but perfectly acceptable to show concern for her health and professional life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.