Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Does anyone hate their name?

My first name is a very common name but i felt like it never fit me. Its also always mispronounced. I feel like it is also very effeminate. Every time I have to say my own name I feel a huge drop in confidence. Its a constant reminder of someone I don't want to be. Ive gone out of my way to use alias for little things like telling someone at a drivethru a name for my order. Granted this is someone I will probably only meet for a split moment and then never again; yet I feel the need to disguise myself to save face.

I don't know the exact reason I was given this name since Im not close to my parents but I suspect it was based on my mothers name which is very similar. I contemplate changing my name all the time but feel like that will erase part of my identity and erase someone I have been my whole life. Im a young adult now and find it very anxiety inducing to start out as a new person at this point.

...My middle name isn't much better and my last name is always misspelled every single time as well. :,(

I don't like my name. I want to change my name. Changing your name will not erase part of your identity and erase someone that you have been your whole life. Beginning life as a young adult is a great time to change your name and start out as a new person at this point.

• kelvin

than change it...............

I knew a woman named Tony (not Antonia), who didn't like her name because it was a boys name, but she was eventually able to see how her name intrigued people, made her stand out a little, made her more interesting in some ways. Look up the meaning of your name, see if there are any nicknames associated with it that you like better, and if you're still struggling with this, see a therapist. You're right, your name is part of your identify, so consider that an interesting names is great starting point for a conversation with someone. 

Legally change your name.  Problem solved.

• Sandy

you can change it. give it some thought.