Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

I'm a girl, is it inappropriate to call my also female friend hun?

A friend of mine recently called me bab when texting which i had never heard but then i realised it is short for baby! I found it a bit of a lesbiany thing to say

Am i overthinking this or would it sound inappropriate or creepy if i called her hun in return? Like "hey hun how are you? Xx" 

Anonymous 3: no she called me bab, not babe

• Robin

It’s bad to call anyone that as it refers to a WW1 German officer 

• Bec

Lots of females exchange hun, babe etc in texts. One of our receptionists calls everyone honeybun but it comes across so genuine. She is really sweet.

But I hate being called hun, babe etc by friends or colleauges. It's just not me (but I don't put x on the end of any message)

The word 'hun' is commonly used between female friends without any lesbian connotation.

i wouldnt worry about it, she couldve called you worse stuff

• John P

Actually short for 'Honey'.

Bab is cute! It's just a shortened version of babe is all, babe is ok to call a friend. Ditto babes. Baby- no. Just no. I would never call anyone baby unless they were my boyfriend. If you meant she called you baby not bab, then I too would question that. Any of the other 3 names i wouldn't bat a eyelid.

And hun is short for honey. I think hun is ok, maybe even hon, but honey is pushing it a bit. Honey kinda goes beyond friendship boundaries.

If you ever start calling each other baby and honey then you're being very lesbiany!

Just joking. If you both know nothing will ever happen between you, then don't worry about it! :)

No yes and no

No bab is not lesbiany at all, I've been known to call female friends babes before

Yes you're overthinking this

And no it is not inappropriate to call her hun, it's perfectly normal

You mean babe?  You are over thinking it. 

Although hun is used more in the general public. And can be regional.  Having a female clerk in a store try to get my attention by saying “Hey hun are you paying cask or credit” Would not phase me in our area. 

I don't think it is inappropriate hun.

@anon, the asker is not me.

Awww no I think hun is nice. Go ahead and call her hun, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not sure how old you both are but hun is more something an older person would say, but no hun doesn't sound les to me, it's just a friendly greeting!

I agree bab is weird though. I'm assuming by you saying about being worried you'll look like lesbian you're both straight, but seriously bab is not the kind of thing you'd call a friend, or even sister, it's more like something you'd call your partner. Are you sure she's not trying to drop a hint to you?...