Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 4 weeks ago

Can you wash bathroom rugs in the washing machine? ?

I'm in a disagreement. I use two rugs in a room for my foster kittens, and wash them 1x week. Someone in my family thinks they will break the machine, saying it's too heavy. I'm talking two small bathroom size rugs... not large living room ones. I only wash the rugs and nothing else with them, and I'm having a hard time seeing her w that snow any different than washing half a hamper of clothes, bedroom sheets, or a couple blankets? 

• L

I always wash my bathroom rugs in the washer.  Just toss in some dirty towels with them.

I wash my two bathroom mats in my front-loader without any problems at all, except that the first time I did it, they both shed a lot of fibres and blocked the filter.

However they've been fine since the third wash.

• Kate

My bathroom mats go in the washing machine every week, no problem if they are loaded evenly.

Of course you can!

See if the label gives cleaning directions.

• garry

yes , on gentle wash and 1 at a time .

I wash my bathroom rugs in the washer ALL THE TIME. I have never had a problem. I don't know why you would.  Yes, wash the rugs in the machine;. 

• drip

For a top load washer you do have to watch not only the weight of the load, but keeping it balanced. So if the two rungs throw the machine off balance- you will hear a commotion- then you need to be careful with them. It can damage the ballbearings that make it spin.

For a front load, no problem. Won’t hurt it.

Some small bath rugs can really absorb water and can get very heavy when wet.  I have two super Absorbing  bath rugs that weigh a ton when they are wet.  Even at fast spin dry they come out dripping water.  I have to hang them outside for two days to dry. Wonderful when you step out fo the shower but a pain in the neck to clean. I only vacuum them now.  100% cotton bath rugs can get heavy when wet too.

A large load of sheets or clothes are not going to get supper heavy when wet.

I have a couple of 24" by 36" (approximate) that I have been washing in the machine for years. I only do one at a time and have never had a problem. My wife has washed full size quilts as well. Again, never a problem. 

It depends upon how heavy the rugs are when soaking wet;  obviously, the more strain on the equipment the more wear-and-tear - especially on drive belts.  Our washer and dryer are supposedly "Extra High Capacity" - - we could stuff the thing full, but instead wash small rugs one at a time - one King Size sheet and pillow case at a time, etc.  Our machine is a top-loader......I think the front loaders can handle heavier loads.