Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 4 weeks ago

Why did the soap I ALWAYS use suddenly give me a yeast infection!?

I always use this type of beauty bar.  It isn't really scented so I thought it was okay. Used it for months and washed down there and no issue. Well last week I took a bath line usual and put a ton of soap on my pubic hair and some got down into my privates too like usual. Well the next morning I had itching which turned to be a yeast infection!?!? Why suddenly did it **** me over?!

• J

It’s never a good idea to use soap on the vagina. Just wash with plain water. If you take a bath, try to avoid getting the soapy water inside your vagina. Always rinse off in the shower when you’re done. If you use soap to wash the hair, do it standing up so it won’t get inside there when it rinses off. Soap is a very common cause of yeast infections, especially if it’s a previously used bar soap. I wouldn’t recommend using bar soap at all, since it grows bacteria when it sits. 

• Cammie

You do not need to use soap in your vagina.Some thing about the PH of the vagina.Just rinse with clean water.Nothing else is needed.

• kelvin

why are you using soap down there

1. Might be a total coincidence and nothing to do with the soap.

2. You didn't rinse well enough.  Baths don't allow you to rinse any part of your body with clean, running water, so soap and bacteria an remain on your body parts.

3. Bacteria lives quite happily in the "slime" of bar soap. Most bacteria aren't dangerous, but it's possible there is a connection between your "beauty bar" and transferring bacteria to your privates.

Of course no one on Answers really can answer that question with precision.  But I have a guess.  Take it or leave it.

That bar of soap.  I bet its a previously used bar from previous baths.  So you probably left it in a soap dish after that previous bath.  Which means, while it sat there all moist and warm from the previous bath a yeast began to grow on its surface.

So when you subsequently used the yeast covered soap to wash, you transferred some of it to your lower places.

Check that soap bar's ingredients.  If it shows some sort of organic material (e.g., lye) as a major element in the ingredients yeast loves organic things to live by.