He’s upset about rent?

My boyfriend moved in with me about 7 months ago. Normally, He pays the “other bills” and I pay rent. For the past 3 months. He has paid the rent and I pay the other bills. So this month, I told him rent would be $60 more because of the late fee. He normally cash apps me the money and I get a check and mail the rent off. I reminded him 2 weeks ago about the rent and I reminded him again last week. So today, he gets upset about the extra fee and says I don’t know how to pay “YOUR” rent. You never sent me any information so how do I know. I said “Rent is due by the 1rst of every month”. He says “ I know but it’s late because they won’t get it by the first when you mail it? That’s stupid” I said “you know what, I’ll just pay the late fee, just send me the rent”. He proceeds to complain about the rent and I finally said “I’ll do it myself!!” He says “ok, we’ll send the money back”. I’m completely frustrated with him and I don’t even want to talk to him right now because I’m so pissed off. How would you handle this situation ? Was I wrong for getting upset? I just didn’t understand why all of a sudden, you have an issue 

• Maxi

When you play house and the rental contract is in your name only then you also need to play at being an educated  grown up and realise YOU are the only one responsible to pay rent, if it is late YOU are the one to blame........ so maybe you should rethink about 'playing house'

I would handle the situation by leaving and calming down from being completely frustrated and pissed off from him. I would make an agreement and have him sign it where it details what he will pay for and when the money will be due each month. If he doesn't want to sign the agreement then I would write a letter to him letting him know that he needs to be out of the residence as soon as possible, you can give him a date that you feel is reasonably for him to get all his belongings out and to be able to find other living arrangements. No, you weren't wrong for getting upset. It doesn't sound like all of a sudden he has an issue. It sounds like he wanted to move in with his girlfriend for just the cost of "other bills" and he didn't want to have to pay any rent.

Is he on the lease? if not, then the onus is entirely on you

If you are choosing to pay the rent late, then he shouldn't pay for that, that is on you.

• LILL

Dump him and start dating grown ups.

I would have told him to pay the rent and pay the late fee and just sorta agreed about how terrible the situation all is, but he nonetheless needs to pay the rent and late fee.  The way you did it, you have essentially rewarded him for complaining and not paying the rent (by saying you'd do it yourself) so guess what he's going to do next time he doesn't want to pay for something - whine and moan to you about it until you agree to pay it yourself.

If you read your lease, you'll discover that *YOU* are responsible for paying the rent on time.    If *YOU* fail to do so, *YOU* will owe a late fee.