Do the following sentence have the same meaning?

This afternoon, I cut hair by my own

This afternoon, I cut hair by myself. 

• John P

The first should read: This afternoon I cut my hair on my own. (meaning that nobody was with me, I was 'on my own')  'By my own' is not known to me in Britain.

The second is good and is the version I would normally see in Britain.

I might also hear: 'This afternoon I cut my own hair.'  That is possibly the more natural way.

Gosh, only on looking again at your question did I see that you did not use 'MY hair'. My brain must have supplied 'my' because that is always the form. Likewise: 'your hair'; 'her hair'; etc.

I cut MY hair on my own=I cut my hair myself (or by myself).

• frank

Just to be safe from covid-19 infection, and save some money too, this afternoon I gave myself a hair cut.

Both sentences aren't correct,   sentence having reflexive pronouns can't be made passive.For instance, we can't write, "He was hurt by HIMSELF". but we can write He killed himself.

If you didn't cut your hair yourself,  you may write  ,  This afternoon I got my hair cut.

Or, if you did it yourself, you can write, This afternoon I cut my hair myself.

Please recheck this.

The first sentence is not correct grammar. If you're trying to say that you gave yourself a haircut, the second is incorrect also.

"This afternoon, I cut hair by myself."  This statement leaves us wondering whose hair you cut.  The phrase "cut hair" is non-specific and could apply to anybody's hair. A barber or hair stylist who had to work alone might say "I cut hair by myself."  If you cut your own hair, you need to specify that it was your own. The following are the correct ways to say that you cut your own hair:

This afternoon, I cut my own hair.

This afternoon, I cut my hair.

This afternoon, I gave myself a haircut.

The first sentence should be, "This afternoon, I cut my hair on my own." Otherwise, yes, they relatively mean the same thing.