Kay asked in HealthWomen's Health · 4 weeks ago

Milky, smelly discharge?

For the past week, every time I go to the bathroom I see this super watery and milky discharge in my undies and it smells so bad... like rotten. So even though I’m not on my period, I’ve been using my diva cup to contain it while I’m at school so I don’t smell bad (it is super strong through my pants) and the cup is about halfway full after 7 hours. The smell from it has embedded itself into the rubber of my diva cup and I feel like it will permanently smell like that. I don’t know what it’s from and I don’t know what to do. I’m sexually active, but I have been for a while and this hasn’t ever happened. It started on my ovulation day 8 days ago and my progressively produced more of the discharge each day, and it smells worse every day as well. What can I do??? 

someone is stalking you go to the doctors

• Jim

Some discharge is normal, but it should not have an offensive odor.  See your doctor soon.

• Peter

It sounds like you have a yeast infection.  Get your doctor to call you in a prescription for Diflucan.  If it is painful to urinate you may also have a urinary tract infection and need an antibiotic too.  Drink plenty of fluids while taking these meds.  Cranberry juice supposedly has some benefits for urinary tract health but I don't know if there are any studies proving it.

can you send me some discharge so i can taste it and tell you whether you are infected. cheers pal

• k w

sounds like you have BV, or maybe a yeast infection, go see a doctor....

Hi Kay! It sounds like you may be experiencing something called bacterial vaginosis. This infection may cause the milky discharge and rotten smell you have noticed. It is actually one of the most common vaginal infections. It happens when there is too much of a certain bacteria in the vagina. I recommend calling your doctor to make an appointment because you will need an antibiotic to clear up the infection. Once you start taking the antibiotic the symptoms should start to improve in 2-3 days but you should continue taking the medication for the full course. I also recommend replacing your diva cup. It is not recommended to continue using the same diva cup after you've had an infection. 

You get in to see a doctor right away.

• Robin

Tric ....................

• kelvin

try changing it more often than 7 hours

When there's a persistent change in the smell of your vaginal discharge, an infection is likely. See your gynecologist--and ask them how to clean the diva cup while you're there, so you don't reinfect yourself.