Registering car import from Canada to Us?

Heres the story; 

I drove my Canadian car over the buffalo border into New York, with my husband. I am attending school in California. So from New York (where my husbands family lives) to Cali; The car was on the back of a flatbed, a company who we payed to 'ship' the car and then we flew to cali. The car arrived about a week later. NOW we want to take the car to the DMV and change ownership, get California plates and put the registration in my husband's name. Every time we go to the DMV they literally laugh at us for not knowing what we need and insist we need new papers. Every time they add something on they didn't tell us prior. This time we were told we needed the papers that border control gave us but we didn't get any papers because it wasn't a thought when we crossed that we needed anything. (have mercy we are pretty young) 

If anyone could help and just advise on what we need to do this or how we can obtain these papers considering we already crossed the border long ago, I would greatly appreciate it because I am so lost and the DMV & Google aren't completely helpful.

5 Answers

  • Bill
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

    Contact the DMV in California and ask to speak with a Supervisor.  The Supervisor should be able to clearly explain what you need to make the transfer.  You could also call the Canadian RMC and ask them to help.   Good Luck

  • May
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    I suggest that you contact a Import - export company.   Have them process this for you.  They know all the ins and outs of importing a vehicle.  It can be very complicated to try to do yourself.

    Been there, done that

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    If you are only going to school and won't be working or staying permanently, and you are a Canadian citizen, you do not need to register and license the car in California. It can remain licensed in Canadaq.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    You can't just import a car without correct papers. And even after that it has to be 25+ years old. P.S. YOUR PRETTY YOUNG? I'M THIRTEEN!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    No, you have imported a car illegally, so registration is not the correct term. Apparently just driving it in across the border is the worst way to get it done.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.