Anonymous

College before the internet? ?

Is college easier than it used to be? What was college like before the internet, did they always have syllables and study guides or no? 

Update:

Oops. I put mean a Syllabus. Sorry

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I don't know about always, but yeah we had them in the '80s. 

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I assume you mean 'syllabuses', not 'syllables'. 

• L
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

'Syllables'?  Syllables is part of everyone's vocabulary.........therefore, they will always exist.  Anyway, before the internet.................we were given assignments and spent hours in libraries obtaining useful information to complete our work.  We typed everything and handed it in on-time.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Before there was internet college meant a lot of time doing research in the library, reading abstracts & thesis & journals by torch or candlelight.  We dressed in long black robes, wore bird-like animal masks, and spoke arcane languages like Latin, Greek, and French.  With no internet we spent our free-time singing Gregorian chants..  Once in a while either a plague would pass thru or the local villagers would attack the college with pitchforks & torches, and we would be called upon to defend the walls of the school. 

Ah, good times. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JuanB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Like most said we had syllabus and various course information available on the first day of class.  A majority of my classes also had study guides mainly in the form of past midterm and final exams available in the library.  

The professor had posted office hours that they may, or may not take appointments for.  Basically showed up usually a designated hour that day and if there was a line you waited.  

• garry
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

before the internet , you had to use your brain , instead now you  cut and paste , you have lost the art of using a library and studying .  hard no , just you used you brain more .

• John
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

I went to college in the early 1970s.  Each professor gave out a syllabus during the first class.  The syllabus told the grading system and other class information.  There were no study guides.  

Research was harder then, as it was long before one could look things up on the internet.  Research involved many hours in the library, and occasional bus trips to the state capitol for record searches.

• 4 weeks ago

1. Yes, they always had "syllabuses." These were not much different than today's syllabuses, despite being on paper rather than electronic. They would contain the professor's contact information and office hours; list the required and recommended texts for the class; give a class-by-class calendar of the required reading for each lecture, exam dates, and due dates for papers and other assignments; and show how the course would be graded (e.g. four midterms worth 15% of your grade each, lowest grade dropped; final worth 50% or your grade; homework worth 5%, etc.). 

2. We never received study guides or copies of lecture notes. We'd take notes in the lectures and use those to study, along with the texts (and any notes we'd made from our readings). 

3. But it was the papers that were the real hassle. 

We'd have to write them by hand on paper. "Cut and paste" was quite literal (although more likely "cut and tape" or "circle a paragraph and draw an arrow to where it belongs"). Then we had to type out the whole thing on a typewriter. While my typewriter had an eraser, there was a limit to the amount you could erase before you had to just retype the whole page. (As drip says, one could hire a professional typist, but to do that, one had to actually finish writing the paper before 12:30 AM on the day it was due. Most of my all-nighters in college were not spent studying, but typing up papers). 

Towards the end of my college career, more people had computers, but most the printers were dot-matrix and professors wouldn't accept papers printed that way (they were very difficult to read). Also, you had to keep ejecting and inserting different floppy discs while you were writing the paper. 

But even before that, imagine having to *research* a paper with no online resources. You had to find journal articles by looking at books and other articles, or through bound indexes listed by topic, which were always several months out of date by the time the printed copy was available. It was kind of hit or miss whether a paper would actually turn out to be useful. Requesting books from other libraries was more of a hassle too, since there were two sets of librarians involved that had to make the exchange; you couldn't do it directly. 

• 4 weeks ago

Much of the bachelor's degree curriculum has been dumbed down, just as so much K-12 education has been. Never had any professor who handed out a syllabus (not "syllables" - which just goes to show your vocabulary development is rather poor) or "study guide." No hand-holding, no babysitting, no exceptions, no excuses. Research required a lot of time in the library, familiarity with reference materials, serious research skills.

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I remember in HS having to hand write all essays and papers and tests.  Once in college everyone usually typed their papers. Wite-out was in high demand.   Many students who were proficient typist would hire out to type other students papers.  Just type them, not write them. I remember quite a few students who didn’t know how to type. Most students did not have their own type writer. I was a DJ on the campus radio station and would always go into their offices to use their typewriter. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.