Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 4 weeks ago

Are there any areas in America known for having a significant Greek population?

I'm Greek and am looking to travel to the U.S. for college, I was just wondering are there areas with lots of Greeks so if it gets too overwhelming being in a foreign country at least I have some fellow Greeks I can talk to and ask for help.

Tarpon Springs Florida has a significant Greek population, and it's well known for excellent and multiple Greek restaurants.

South Florida used to have a lot of sponge divers.  Ut Cubans overwhelm most 

of south florida now.

Best thing to do is to move in an area that has a lot of Greek Orthodox Churches, in a small area.

Source(s): There are demographic maps showing this.
  • John

I'm in San Francisco. Sunday we had lunch at a fine Greek restaurant (outside) recommended by our new Greek client. We have often gone to one of the Greek festivals, which is held at the Greek Orthodox Church not far from our house. There are several festivals because the area is large.

But I just don't know of any concentration. We have neighborhoods that identify as ethnic of some sort, but not Greek that I know of.

• Foofa

There are several Greek expat communities in the US but the largest concentrations of these are around New York City and Chicago. But you could always reach out to some Greek cultural organizations in whatever US city you'd like to move to so you've got some contacts before you arrive. 

• drip

The USA is huge.   You need to look at the schools you want to apply to first. You can’t determine what university to apply to by how many Greeks live in the area.  You will be on campus most of the time.  Most universities will have an international student office to help you. 

Once you find the universities that you are going to apply to do a search for Greek Orthodox Churches in the area, 

Is this the best option?

The US is hugely expensive to study in, the health care system is a joke, and you can't stay afterwards. Whereas you can study anywhere in Europe for significantly less, and stay / work if you want to. 

Not really. They're spread all over the US. Chicago, New York City (Astoria, in Queens), and Boston probably have the biggest numbers, but then, they are very large cities with a lot of people of all kinds of backgrounds. And you will probably find that the Greek people in the US are mostly third and fourth generation.

NO except Tarpon Springs Florida

Could be that Greeks are an estimated ONE percent of the population.

Care to narrow down which one of the Universities or Colleges you plan to attend, Only about 4500 to pick from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Americans#Larg...

Honestly, I have traveled a lot in the US, and have not encountered anything like this. No Greek hubs, no Hungarian hubs, no Czech hubs.

Of course.  Do a search on 'US Greek population'.  You'll find maps and articles.  In general, big cities in the North East and Chicago, but there are pockets elsewhere too.