Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

What to do after you dump a Narcissist? ?

I feel like I’m dying inside. I can’t believe he took 4 years of my life I’m glad it didn’t last any longer. 

• Pi
    Favorite Answer

Generally good advice on this thread to which I would only add that getting some counselling to help resolve the past really helps in moving forward with less damage and certainly an end to suffering when memories over take.

You can do this, you are enough, be well.

After 6 months, if you still can't get him out of your system, see a therapist.  Don't let it mess up any more years of your life.

• amy

Generally narcissists are tricky to get away from if youve been intangled with them and they can get what they want from you. Remember this moment so you know if he ever tries to get back in you cant allow that. Time spent grieving then processing then moving on. If youre have a hard time doing this yourself or dealing with it yourself seek professional help for it. Stalking can occure. If theyve been on your property they basically like to let you know by leaving a strange gift, strange obvious theft or strange obvious damage to something on your property. If this happens regularly know that that is how they typically act, you are not going nuts. Unlike real stalkers it wont be long term and eventually hell stop and be gone forever. That doesnt always happen but if it does you know whats going on. I would suggest changing your phone number just to be safe. After youve grieved, processed and start moving on try to look back over the early days of knowing each and how this came to be. There would have been red flags from even the first day. Try to recognise them so they can never be used on you again. Problem with this sort of thing after once being a victim of a narcissist other narcissists can spot it and see you as an easy target. So after youve reached a more accepting and balanced place take the time to relook over and find the red flags you missed so you can recognise it in the future and avoid having this happen again.

My mom is a narcissist, and she dumped me and backstabbed me many times. I couldn't care less anymore.

• Chanel

There is a reason for everything and what you had to endure was a learning curve and when you meet somebody else you will have more of an insight into how they behave.

You can move on now as I'm sure you have many years ahead of you to meet new people and form friendships.

You had a lucky escape.

You throw a party or celebrate your freedom. He took four years to make you feel that way. It is partly your fault because you gave in to his demands. Now that you are free to choose a new path in life and meet new decent genuine people in life. 

• Pain

Perhaps look into counselling. 

• Rick

Yeah, you want to stay away from narcissists.  Especially Narcissists.  Think Trump.  :  |   Learn from it.  You need to take your time figuring out what kind of man you think you could be happy with, and then start looking for those qualities in the people you know, or people they know.  You know what I mean?  Thru your friends, etc.  Once bitten, twice shy, and that`s only right.  The biggy here is not to be discouraged.  Don`t just jump back in either.  Use your heart and your brain.  I got lucky.  My wife and I have been mostly happily married for 54 yrs. now.  In our case, we turned out to complement each other very well.  You might say we completed each other.  Each of our weak points are strong points for our mates.  We`ve had a lot of time to reflect on this!  We absolutely trust each other, and have since the beginning.  I wish you much good luck because I feel `luck` is absolutely part of the formula.  Don`t give up and try not to overly prejudge somebody.  You never can tell.  

maybe you can celebrate

You simply move on. No it's not going to be that easy to just move on, but you will forget about it at one point. I too, am glad you threw out the trash in your life. Time to start fresh.