Do you think it’s worth messaging him after he ignored my follow request?

I sent this guy I used to work with a follow request as an attempt to stay in touch. All he has is 1 picture and not many followers and he’s not following many either so I didn’t think it’d be a big deal if I just sent him one. And I got bored one day and wanted to check the status of it and saw he accepted one person, and was following another. And I just got so confused, like why I guess. If he’s gonna ignore it, why not just decline it. So would it be worth it to just send him a message and just say hi text me if you ever want to hang out or just talk in general. And leave it up to him. He said he doesn’t have many friends and no one really hits him up except for his two friends, so I just figured why not try and be his friend, if he wanted to be mine. 

thats up to you

• Pain

If he doesn't use his social media much and is not active on it, he may not even have seen the request. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, which is why it is always better to just send a message, use whatsapp or even better, speak with them in person.

I would go with what you suggested regarding you asking him if he wants to hang out. It is always better to just be direct and to the point, rather than guessing the whole day and wondering if he's ignoring you. 

This is why I hate social media. It's even more of a way for people to hide from real, genuine interactions. It's just all so tedious.