Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 4 weeks ago

How many people miss the 1950's?

President Eisenhower, Vice-President Nixon, Governor Rockefeller, Joe McCarthy, J.Edgar Hoover made us feel safe. Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ozzie and Harriet, I Love Lucy, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Slim Whitman, The Platters, Bill Haley and the Comets, Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, Indians, White Sox were entertaining us. Those were the days when the USA was on top. This Saturday join me for a 1950's party.  

People not born in the 1950's can understand what it was like by watching movies, listening to music, watching TV shows on You Tube. There's no excuse.

My question pertains to the USA not UK. You guys were still digging out from Hitler’s bombing. 

Jerry Lee Lewis turned 85 today. Happy Birthday 🎂 

@They keep killing Suzie, please keep racism out of your answer to my question. Immigrants make nations strong. Of course the British did not allow the Irish in during the Great Famine, so that tells the World how the British feel about Immigrants.

It was a different world in the 50s. People knew their place. Blacks were not in our faces all the time. It was accepted and obeyed. Blacks had their own Economy, which was better than today. Blacks owned Banks, Insurance companies, Clubs, Funeral Homes, Bars. Then come Martin Luther king, Jr. so eager to sit next to us in the restroom and be in our faces. Blacks should have resisted intergration.

@Forward-Fantastic answer. The economy was indeed soaring. President Eisenhower and his Administration did an incredible job. More Americans owned homes per capita and owned brand new cars. 

@Simon Sainteclaire-Blacks were better off socially and economically. They knew their place and had their own companies. Martin Luther King, Jr. sold out his people.

J.Edgar Hoover was a great man. He knew how to get people to conform to the rules of Law and Order. Roy Cohn was a great Lawyer who made his bones in the 1950's. 

Once again, cuckroaches scurry out from under. The US was born and raised on racism, so it's always a factor. You cuckroaches flatter yourselves thinking anyone wanted to sit next to you because you're so attractive. We wanted to prevent tax money from being pulled from minority businesses and used only in white neighborhoods. That and police abuse. That's about it. 

• John P

Not much Nazi bombing in my small town on the south coast of England, but, yes, there was some. I knew buddleia as the plant which grew on bomb-sites.

It was the decade of freedom and the economy was soaring.

• Fred G

60s 70s and 80s for me.. Could get a job in a day. Sex drugs rock and roll.. None of this PC baloney or racist baloney.. Men were men and women were women..

• Buzz

I love the era when depicted on tv and in history etc but wasn’t born till late seventies.

No I don't.  I was a schoolboy in the 50th and as others say it wasn't a nice era. I do more miss the 60s with all the great  music,very nostalgic.

Not the early 1950s when there was still food rationing in the UK, diseases like polio were still rife and the music, homegrown and from America, was dire.

I remember the 1950s very well, having graduated high school and started college in 1956.  Remember Nixon, the only President (years later) forced to resign.  Remember J. Edgar Hoover, transvestite psychopathic paranoid.  Gov. Rockefeller--sex scandal divorce.  Happily Jerry Lee Lewis is still alive at 84, and I even alluded to him in a fun fantasy story ("The Coming of the American Sun").  Watched I Love Lucy, but Ozzie & Harriet not so much.

• I was born in 1974 and long for an era when the British population was predominantly white, family oriented and disciplined.

British culture and values have been destroyed by immigration and this country has been dragged down into a cesspit of degeneracy.  

------------------------------------------------------------

It was only boring to boring people who are still boring today.

Real men, Rock and Roll, Mods and Rockers, Soda Pop cafes, beautiful cars, beautiful dresses and proper old fashioned dating free of debauchery. 

What's not to like about that?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Truth is not racism and there is evidence immigration has weakened Britain, not strengthened it. Seek psychiatric assessment. 

• Murzy

great era                            .